Saturday, April 16, 2011

Where We Can Get Help in Building Bridges

Robert L. Millet, a professor of ancient scripture at Brigham Young University, has spent a lot of time building bridges between himself and people of other faiths. I respect him greatly. In his latest book, he gives the secret to his success:
I began working with men and women of other faiths almost fifteen years ago. I sensed that it was important for me not only to know what I believe but also to understand more completely what they believe. Consequently, I began a major reading program that continues to this day, studying, in addition to the standard works [complete canon of LDS scripture], general conference addresses and Latter-day Saint history and doctrine. Books, articles, conferences, and special lectures have aided me in my quest to know where my brothers and sisters of other faiths are on the religious continuum.
After a while it became clear to me that reading and study, though vital, were insufficient. I also needed to know what they felt, what they valued, what they treasured. I found myself one morning praying as follows: "Heavenly Father, please help me to see my friends of other faiths, to some extent at least, as thou dost see them. Help me to love them as they are loved by thee." I have learned from personal experience that such a prayer is as a sweet savor to the Lord God, and he who is the embodiment of light and life and love and tender mercy is eager to bestow his own love upon us, to empower us to give and serve and care for those all about us, in ways that are far more profound than we could have imagined. I have felt no hesitation on the part of God to grant such a request. 
And here's more:
Perhaps we could pray no more powerful a prayer than to ask a merciful God to bless our enemies that they would cease being our enemies. . . . Our Heavenly Father is in the business of reconciliation, and surely nothing could cause the angels in heaven to rejoice more than to witness warring nations or disputing tribes or conflicted individuals coming together once again.
In addition, the more we pray for our enemies, the more our hearts turn toward them.
God and Christ are in the business of people, and we are called to labor with them. They do not love me more than they love Buddhists or Hindus or even radical Islamic Jihaddists.  
- Talking with God: Divine Conversations That Transform Daily Life

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog concept, 'Becca! It's a beautiful use of creative energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Becca,
    I am so impressed! A few months ago my daughter told me, somewhat offhandedly, that her husband said that my husband and I had "fire-proof bridges". He meant in the context of our children and the many serious crises we have dealt with. That no matter what had happened we've tried to maintain a relationship. At first I laughed. It seemed like a clever remark and true! As I related the conversation to my husband, he reacted a little differently. He frowned a little and acknowledged it was clever, but that it didn't recognize the pain, effort, forgiveness, prayer, tears and sheer will, we put into our relationships with our children and other people. As we talked, I realized that we don't have fire-proof bridges, we just keep rebuilding. Sometimes several times a day. Trying to not give up and working to keep those bridges open. Each of us has the power to build,
    burn or rebuild bridges.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete